NOTE: THIS IS AN UNOFFICIAL FANSITE.

Neither the author nor the host of this blog is affiliated in any way with The Price is Right, FremantleMedia North America, CBS Television, or any of the products or services mentioned herein.

The views and opinions expressed are entirely those of the author, and do not reflect those of Google, CBS, FremantleMedia, Drew Carey, or indeed any other known human being.

Friday, November 16, 2012

TPiRecap: 16 November 2012


Okay, I'm gonna try this one more time. Please give me feedback on whether you like this "new look" and want it to continue, or if you'd rather I went back to the older table-based format... it's essential! It takes a lot more work to do it this way, and I'd like to believe it's worth the extra effort... but without feedback one way or the other, I can only guess at what you guys all make of it!

For one thing, I begin to understand why Roadgeek Adam does his recaps as one giant PNG; it's an extremely time-consuming process to do the graphics in OO Draw, C&P them into The GIMP, export the resulting image file as a PNG, and finally upload the whole mess one individual image at a time to Blogger. I think today, I'll try it Adam's way... that is to say, I'll do all my work in OO Draw and OO Writer, export to PDF, then use ImageMagick (a *nix-based image processing tool) to convert the PDF to a PNG. We'll see how that goes.

...And actually, that failed spectacularly. Back to doing it as separate PNGs. This is why it's so important that you tell me if this whole thing is worth the trouble!  ^^;

Onward... 

Episode #
6075K
Airdate
16 November 2012
VTR
16 July 2012
First Four
Alejandro, Carrie, Willie, Valeria (R-L)
Today's Models
Manuela Abreález, Amber Lancaster, Rachel Reynolds


1. CBTL Caffitaly single-serve coffee system (AL)

Coming or Going:
Trip to Venice, Italy (6n, Hotel Paganelli, RR)



I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but I am. $9,097 looked totally wrong to me. (Personally, I think playing with this new format has fried my brain...)

2. Apple iPad 3G (16GM) w/smart cover (GG)


Dice Game:
2012 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4x4 (3.6L, traction ctrl, sun-rider soft top, paint/fabric prot; AL)

Yay, one of my favorite new designs!
(MA and RR wheel out the table)
Roll #1
3
YES
Roll #2
2
NO
Roll #3
1
YES
Roll #4
2
NO


...and of course, it looks even nicer in a winning effort!


Our new Rowbird has quite the mouth-filling name, as you can see, leading to some hilarity between her and Drew. ^^;

3. Spector Legend IV electric guitar w/eMedia CD/DVD lessons (MA)

Plinko, which I still haven't converted yet:

(RR on SPs)
Glass beverage serving jar
Sunbeam fortune cookie maker
Light Keeper Pro Christmas light repair tool
6-sheet document shredder
4
7
4
0
2
3
4
8
6
7
WIN!
$30
$
2
0
4
6

Well, that about sucked... but hopefully he can still find the $10K slot with at least one of his two chips and thus salvage this...

Chip #1:







$

1
0
0
0
0
5
0
0
0
0
1
0
0
0
0
0
|
0
|
0
1
0
0
0
0
0
|
0
|
0
1
0
0
0
0
5
0
0
0
0
1
0
0
0
0
$500
TOTAL

Chip #3:







$

1
0
0
0
0
5
0
0
0
0
1
0
0
0
0
0
|
0
|
0
1
0
0
0
0
0
|
0
|
0
1
0
0
0
0
5
0
0
0
0
1
0
0
0
0
$1,000
LOSS

...or maybe not. Ugh.


(CC1: UnitedHealthcare)

Showcase Showdown #1:






4. Old Town Dorego(sp?) 120XT kayak w/accessories (AL)


Step Up, a game I never even planned on seeing this week so it obviously hasn't been given the makeover yet:
  1. Bosch 24" stainless steel dishwasher (RR)
  2. Dell 27" all-in-one computer (1TB HD, 8GB RAM, AIO; RR)
  3. RCS 42" gas barbecue (MA)
  4. Chloe who-the-hell-knows-how-many" designer accessories (MA)

Computer
$1,770

Accessories
$2,350
$500
STOP
(Dishwasher: $699; Barbecue: $3,798)

Probably the smart thing to do; if bailing out hadn't been an option, I can almost gaurantee you she would've picked the dishwasher next. Everyone thinks barbecues are cheapo prizes, even when all empirical evidence suggests the exact opposite.

I actually like Step Up a lot; I wish we'd see it more often than we do (only a small handful of times each season).



5. Garmin car & handheld GPS units (JE)


Oooh, another favorite new layout... it's Check-Out for a car:
2012 Honda Civic LX (1.8L, 5AT, USB audio interface; $18,605; MA)

  • The World-Famous Bruce's Yams
  • Kraft Singles processed American cheese-like chemical product
  • Quaker instant oatmeal
  • Wesson canola oil
  • Minute Rice


Little worried about some of those...

...as well I should have been.

Well, you knew that with a car on the line this wasn't going to be an especially player-friendly setup, but even so, that was one of the most egregious losses this game has seen in a while. Jack was actually toast before all five ARPs were revealed; that hasn't happened in a long time.

Poor Willie... Leftover Island's been a pretty lonely place this week, but he's headed there unless his bidding improves in a hurry...

6. LG 42" LCD HDTV (RR)

Willie escapes at the last possible moment!

Double Cross:
  1. MyBathUSA.com steam shower (AL)
  2. Avanti Fitness AT480 treadmill (MA)

Once again, as seems to be becoming de rigeur for Double Cross, there's really only one logical solution. A price that looks viable for one prize falls apart when you look at where that places its companion range on the other leg. (For instance, $2,149 looks perfectly reasonable for the treadmill, but $2,475 for that ultra-deluxe steam shower isn't gonna fly. Ditto with $4,750 for the shower, as there's no way an Avanti treadmill is worth over three grand. As long as you keep your common sense about you, this game is all but impossible to lose.

At least, until someone in the food chain realizes this and starts making the game much more evil. ^^;


(CC2: Ambulance chasers / Coricidin HBP)

Showcase Showdown #2:



Showcases: Willie top winner, Carrie runner-up.

1. Family-Friendly Showcase
  • 4 Canon digital cameras (2 DSLRs & 2 point-and-shoots; RR)
  • Trip to Cancun, México (for 4, 5n, Iberostar Cancun; RR)
  • 2012 Chevrolet Equinox LS (2.4L, 6AT; AL)
Willie bids $28,500.
(My bid: $38,145)


2. Rei Hino Semi-Memorial "Pump Up the Volume" Showcase
(Look it up...)
  • Apple iPod Shuffle (2GB), Nano (8GB), Classic (160GB), & Touch (32GB; AL)
  • Bose Bluetooth speaker (AL)
  • Trip to Kyoto, Japan (6n, Hyatt Regency Kyoto; AL)
    • 1d city tour
    • Visit to city temple & Great Bell of Kyoto
  • Triumph Tiger 800XC motorcycle (MA)
Carrie bids $20,500.
(My bid: $30,150)


Moment of Truth:


LEADER BOARD: Episode #6075K

Carrie
$27,318
Alejandro

$23,954
Willie
$7,445
B
Valeria

$5,630

Eric

$2,260

Jack

$690
TOTAL WINNINGS
$67,297
35.49% of $189,597
Average: $11,216
Median: $13,914

Back on Monday with more... please, leave some feedback as to how much you like/hate/are indifferent about this experiment I'm conducting!  ^^;

4 comments:

  1. I personally love the pictures for the pricing games (especially Double Cross...looks so much cleaner that way). The Showcases and Contestants' Row graphics are aesthetically pleasing, but I wouldn't be totally against going back to the old format if it meant saving you some time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For now, I'm still willing to ascribe the additional time this takes to "growing pains" getting used to a new format. This recap took me about 2-2½ hours to complete the way you see it now; that's actually not too much different than how it started with the old format once I moved these to their own blog. Once I got used to it, I could streamline the process so it only took anywhere between 90 minutes and two hours. So far, I see no reason I can't make a similar adjustment with this setup too.

      There are some games I have no plans on changing, because the table system works better for them. Clock Game, for instance, wouldn't be all that much improved; in fact, going with a more graphical representation might actually do more harm than good. Other things, such as the dice rolls on Dice Game, aren't especially helped by a more graphical representation either. It's mostly a case of trial-and-error as I find my way towards a happy medium.

      Thanks for the input; it really does help. 8^)

      Delete
  2. I think it looks great. The only thing I've noticed (in today's show especially) is font sizes need work in things like the SCSD and Check-Out. The dice in Dice Game are also a touch small (they should fit in the window). Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, if you look really closely at the prop itself, you'll notice the real dice are in fact smaller than the boxes they're placed into. I tried to reflect that, but it's one of the things I'm working on improving.

      I don't know what's happening with things like off-center fonts. They look perfectly fine in OO Draw, but when I drop them into The GIMP on my Xubuntu desktop that strange effect happens. The even stranger thing is, this doesn't seem to happen when I use the Windows versions of those programs, or if it does it's a lot less noticeable. I don't get how that works, but again... this is very much a work in progress, and tweaks can be expected to come for some time until I hit on just the right formula.

      Delete